Rebecca Stepien, DVM, MS, DACVIM (Cardiology), Clinical Professor
Department of Medical Sciences
Titles and Education
- Clinical Professor-Cardiology, University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine
- Chief of Small Animal Services, UW Veterinary Care
- Diplomate ACVIM (Cardiology)
- Cardiology Residency, The Ohio State University
- MS, The Ohio State University
- Internship in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, The Animal Medical Center, New York, NY
- DVM University of Wisconsin
- BS University of Wisconsin
Investigations of naturally occurring mitral valve disease in whippets.
Epidemiology and diagnosis of systemic hypertension in dogs and cats.
Cardiac effects of systemic illness.
Diagnosis and therapy of canine mitral valve disease.
Cardiovascular medicine: 3rd year students.
Clinical cardiology: 4th year students.
Cardiology residency supervisor.
Development and testing of accurate blood pressure measurement methods in patients with naturally-occurring disease.
Use of echocardiography and Doppler-echocardiography to diagnose and monitor patients with naturally-occurring heart disease. Diagnosis and therapy of canine mitral valve disease.
Graduate TrainingMaster of Sciences, The Ohio State University
Capstone Post-Graduate Certificate: Fundamentals of Clinical Research, University of Wisconsin
- Keene BW, Atkins CE, Bonagura JD, Fox PR, Haggstrom J, Luis Fuentes V, Oyama MA, Rush JE, Stepien R, Uechi M. ACVIM consensus guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of myxomatous mitral valve disease in dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2019 May-Jun; 33(3): 1127–1140.
Nadolny K, Kellihan H, Scansen BA, Tjostheim S, Grint K, Forrest L, Stepien R. Cor triatriatum dexter in 17 dogs. J Vet Cardiol 2019;23:129-141.
- Stepien RL, Kellihan HB, Luis Fuentes V. Prevalence and diagnostic characteristics of non-clinical mitral regurgitation murmurs in North American Whippets. J Vet Cardiol. 2017;19(4):317-324.
- Tjostheim SS, Stepien RL, Markovic LE, Stein TJ. Effects of toceranib phosphate on systolic blood pressure and proteinuria in dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2016;30(4):951-957.
- Kellihan HB, Stepien RL. Pulmonary hypertension in canine mitral valve insufficiency, J Vet Cardiol. 2012 Mar;14(1):149-64.
- Leblanc NL, Stepien RL, Bentley E. Ocular lesions associated with systemic hypertension in dogs: 65 cases (2005-2007). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2011;238(7):915-921.
- Stepien RL. Pulmonary arterial hypertension secondary to chronic left-sided cardiac dysfunction in dogs. J Sm Anim Pract 2009;50(Suppl 1):34-43.
- Stepien RL, Rapoport GS, Henik RA, Wenholz L, Thomas CB. Comparative diagnostic test characteristics of oscillometric and Doppler ultrasonographic methods in the detection of systolic hypertension in dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2003 Jan-Feb;17(1):65-72.
- Stepien RL, Rapoport GS. Clinical comparison of three methods to measure blood pressure in nonsedated dogs. J Am Med Assoc 215(11):1623-1628, 1999.