Keith Poulsen, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (LAIM)
Department of Medical Sciences
Dr. Poulsen’s research has moved away from prospective clinical studies to reactive clinical work that focuses on what infectious and zoonotic diseases are currently creating problems around the world, especially right here in Wisconsin. He is active in global health, zoonotic and food borne disease, and COVID-19 studies.
Dr. Poulsen is the Director of the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, which is a National Animal Health Level 1 Laboratory and accredited by the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnostics. He holds a joint appointment in Large Animal Internal Medicine and teach lectures and laboratories throughout the curriculum.
Dr. Poulsen’s clinical interest are primarily centered around large animal internal medicine, specifically infectious and zoonotic diseases.
PhD - Comparative Biomedical Sciences
- Schambow RA, Poulsen KP, Bolin S, Krahn D, Norby B, Sockett D, Ruegg P. Apparent prevalence of Mycoplasma wenyonii and Candidatus Mycoplasma haemobos in Wisconsin and Michigan Dairy Cattle Herds. Short Communication Journal of Dairy Science (2021) 2(2):61-66. ISSN 2666-9102 https://doi.org/10.3168/jdsc.2020-0033
- Goryoka GW, Cossaboom CM, Gharpure R, Dawson P, Rossow P, Tansey C, Mrotz V, Rooney J, Torchetti M, Lim A, Poulsen KP, Christensen D, Peterson D, Taylor D, Price A, Klos R, Konkle D, Bhattacharyya S, Dasu T, Chu V, Kirking H, Spengler JR, Straily A, Wallace R, Barton-Behravesh C. One Health Investigation of SARS-CoV-2 Infection and Seroprevalence among Pets in Households with Confirmed Human COVID-19 Cases — United States, 2020. Viruses (2021) 13:1813 https://doi.org/10.3390/v1309183.
- Cossaboom CM, Medley AM, Spengler JR, Kukielka EA, Goryoda GW, Baird T, Bhavasar S, Campbell S, Campbell T, Christensen D, Condrey JA, Dawson P, Doty JB, Feldpausch A, Gabel J, Jones, D, Lim AL, Loiacono CM, Jenkins-Moore M, Moore A, Noureddine C, Ortega J, Poulsen KP, Rooney JA, Rossow J, Sheppard K, Sweet E, Stoddard R, Tell RM, Wallace RM, Williams C, and Barton-Behravesh C. Low SARS-CoV-2 Seroprevalence and No Active Infections among Dogs and Cats in Animal Shelters with Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 Human Cases among Employees. Biology (2021) 10:898. https://doi.org/10.3390/biology10090898
- Minich D, Madden C, Evans MV, Ballash GA, Barr DJ, Poulsen KP, Dennis PM, Hale VL. Alterations in gut microbiota linked to provenance, sex, and chronic wasting disease in white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). Nature, Scientific Reports (2021) 11:13218. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-89896-9
- Moreno GK, Braun KM, Pray IW, Segaloff HE, Lim A, Poulsen KP, Meiman J, Westergaard RP, Moll MK, Friedrich TC, O’Connor DH. Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 transmission in intercollegiate athletics not fully mitigated with daily antigen testing. Clinical Infectious Disease. (2021) 73(Suppl 1): S45-S53.