Jonathan Bach, DVM, DACVIM (SAIM), DACVECC
Department of Medical Sciences
Dr. Bach’s current research interests include CPR, assessing fraction of inspired oxygen concentrations with different techniques, safety of feeding tube insertion, and blood gas preanalytical errors.
Dr. Bach's SVM responsibilities include teaching, research, and service. He coordinates multiple courses instructing emergency and critical care to preclinical DVM students and he coordinates the fourth-year emergency and critical care rotations; and he provides didactic, clinical and laboratory instruction in these courses. He also serves as section head for the small animal emergency & critical care service in the teaching hospital. Dr. Bach is the director of the emergency & critical care residency program at UW Veterinary Care which is overseen by avecc.org.
Dr. Bach's clinical interests include respiratory distress, shock, trauma, and coagulation.
- Loewen, J. M., & Bach, J. F. (2022). Performing an upper airway examination in dogs. Journal of veterinary emergency and critical care (San Antonio, Tex. : 2001), 32(S1), 16–21. https://doi.org/10.1111/vec.13124
- Loewen, J.M. and Bach, J.F. (2022), Respiratory distress in small animals: Pathophysiology and clinical approach. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 32: 3-15. https://doi.org/10.1111/vec.13121
- Angulo, H. L., Bach, J., Snyder, C., & Walker, J. (2021). Thermographic imaging in a dog with macroglossia from an encircling, strangulating lingual linear foreign body. Topics in companion animal medicine, 45, 100556. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcam.2021.100556
- Dusick, A. F., Bach, J. F., Liao, P. T., & Hartmann, F. A. (2020). Growth of adenocarcinoma from canine pleural fluid on aerobic bacterial culture. Journal of veterinary diagnostic investigation : official publication of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, Inc, 32(1), 156–158. https://doi.org/10.1177/1040638719887753
- Evans, N. A., Hardie, R. J., Walker, J., & Bach, J. (2019). Temporary abdominal packing for management of persistent hemorrhage after liver lobectomy in three dogs with hepatic neoplasia. Journal of veterinary emergency and critical care (San Antonio, Tex. : 2001), 29(5), 535–541. https://doi.org/10.1111/vec.12873
- Loewen, J. M., Blume, L. M., & Bach, J. F. (2019). Placement of a balloon for resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta without fluoroscopic guidance in canine cadavers. Veterinary surgery : VS, 48(4), 592–596. https://doi.org/10.1111/vsu.13145
- Sikina, E. R., Bach, J. F., Lin, Z., Gehring, R., & KuKanich, B. (2018). Bioavailability of suppository acetaminophen in healthy and hospitalized ill dogs. Journal of veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics, 41(5), 652–658. https://doi.org/10.1111/jvp.12664
- Reich, C. F., Bach, J. F., & Walker, J. M. (2017). Evaluation of the effects of time, temperature, and specimen storage on in vitro lactate concentrations in healthy dogs. Veterinary clinical pathology, 46(2), 308–313. https://doi.org/10.1111/vcp.12472
- Shaffer, K., Bach, J., & Chun, R. (2016). Prospective study evaluating the incidence of bacteraemia and bacteruria in afebrile and febrile neutropaenic dogs undergoing chemotherapy. Veterinary medicine and science, 2(4), 281–294. https://doi.org/10.1002/vms3.49