Department of Medical Sciences
- Professor Emeritus of Large Animal Medicine/Swine 2002
- DVM 1961, Royal College of Veterinary Medicine, Stockholm, Sweden
- PhD 1973, Royal College of Veterinary Medicine, Stockholm
- Docentship in Food Animal Preventive Medicine and Hygiene, 1973, at the Royal College of Veterinary Medicine, Stockholm
- Affiliate appointments at the UW: CALS Department of Meat and Animal Sciences; SVM Department of Comparative Biosciences
1. Swine infectious and non-infectious respiratory diseases, in particular, the role of air pollution. 2. The role of herd environmental factors (sow crates, stalls, alternative production systems) on swine production and health as well as occupational respiratory ailments in swine barn workers. Main research collaborators are faculty of the UW School of Veterinary Medicine, U.W. Hospital, the Department of Animal Hygiene, College of Veterinary Medicine, Sweden, the Institute of Environmental Health, University of Gothenburg, Sweden, and the National Farm Medicine Center, Marshfield, Wisconsin.
Swine medicine, in particular preventive and population medicine. Also serves Wisconsin's swine industry on committees and was awarded the Wisconsin Pork Producers Association Industry Honoree Award in 1991.
Opinions of veterinary students in the United States and the European Union regarding ethics of animal use in meidcal research and food, and the use of growth promoters in food animals. J. Vet. Med. Education, submitted Jan.2005
Economic impact of a ban on the use of over-the-counter antibiotics in U.S. swine rations. Internat. Food & Agribusiness Management. Rev. 2001, 4: 81-97
A survey of college students in veterinary medicine, animal sciences, and social sciences about utilization of food animals, production ethics, animal well-being, and food safety in animal agriculture in the USA Proc. Internat. Pig Vet. Soc. Congress, Melbourne. Sep. 2000, 238
An international survey of veterinary students on ethics, welfare, and food safety issues in animal agriculture. Proc. Internat. Pig Vet. Soc. Congress, Melbourne, Australia. Sep. 2000, pp 198-199, 233 - 237
The use of tilmicosin in minimizing atrophic rhinitis, pneumonia, and pleuritis in swine. Swine Health & Prod. 2000, 8:6, 263-268
Bronchoalveolar lavage cytology and hematology: A comparison between high and low health status pigs at 3 different ages. J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 2000, 12:5, 438-443
Respiratory and systemic health parameters in pigs from two different farms, raised as conventionally weaned or segregated early weaned pigs. Swine Health & Prod. 1999, 7:6, 269-275
A 15-week experimental exposure of pigs to airborne dust with added endotoxin in continous flow exposure chamber. Can. J. Vet. Res. 1999, 63:129-137
Present use and experiences of swine vaccines. Advances in Vet. Med. 1998, 41:419-428
Airborne contaminants and farmers health in swine confinement buildings with high or low prevalence of respiratory diseases in the animals. Ann. Agric. Environ. Med. 1998, 5:87-92
Ascarid infection and respiratory health in feeder pigs raised on pasture. Swine Health & Production 1998, 6:3, 115-120
Health problems in veterinary students after visiting a commercial swine farm. Can.J.Vet.Res. 1998, 62:44-48
Inflammatory changes in the respiratory tract of pigs induced by exposure to airborne contaminants in swine confinement. Proc., IPVS Congress, Bologna, Italy, July 7-10, 1996.
Airborne dust, endotoxin and peptidoglycan levels in swine confinement buildings. Proc., IPVS Congress, Bologna, Italy, July 7-10, 1996.
Haemophilus parasuis : Control and elimination strategies after acute outbreak in a high health one-site herd. Proc., IPVS Congress, Bologna, Italy, July 7-10, 1996.
A continuous flow exposure chamber for challenge of pigs to airborne contaminants. Proc. Int. Conf. on Air Pollution from Agric. Operations, Kansas City, MO, Feb. 7-9, 1996.
Effect of sow housing systems on production and health. Proc., IPVS Congress, Bangkok, Thailand, p. 427, 1994.
Respiratory ailments in conjunction with work in a swine barn. A survey of veterinary students. Ann. Agric. Environ. Medicine , 1:109, 1994.
Experimental model of swine pneumonic pasteurellosis given endobronchially using crude Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae cytotoxin and Pasteurella multocida . Can. J. Vet. Res ., 58:25-30, 1994.
Housing and environmental influences on swine production and health, in Diseases of Swine VIIth Ed., 884-900, 1992.
A comparison of different challenge methods for induction of atrophic rhinitis in pigs. Acta Path. et Microbial. Scand. 98:442-452, 1990.