Department of Pathobiological Sciences
Titles and Education
- Professor of Microbiology
- BS 1970, University of Minnesota
- DVM 1972, University of Minnesota
- PhD 1976, University of Georgia
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Microbiologists
ResearchParatuberculosis (Johne's disease) and the biology of its causative agent, Mycobacterium paratuberculosis. Johne's disease is a prevalent, costly infectious disease affecting dairy cattle and other ruminants. Improving methods of detecting the disease is the primary focus of the laboratory. In collaboration with other investigators, the diagnostic techniques available in our laboratory are used to study the epidemiology, economic impact, zoonotic potential, and pathogenesis of the disease in a variety of species (cattle, goats, llamas, etc.). This has led to an increased volume of clinical submissions to the laboratory. Annually our lab tests roughly 15,000 serum and 8,000 fecal samples for diagnosis and control of Johne's disease. Another focus of the laboratory is investigation of the relationship between Chrohn's disease, a chronic inflammatory bowel disease in humans, and M. paratuberculosis. In addition to diagnostic services, the laboratory provides information and education through telephone consultation, herd visits, veterinary and producer presentations, lay publications and through the Johne's Information Center website.
Clinical InterestsParatuberculosis, also know as Johne's disease in animals.
Graduate Training1972, DVM, University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine
1976, PhD, Microbiology, University of Georgia, Department of Medical Microbiology
1977, Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Microbiologists
- Collins, M.T. 2011. Diagnosis of paratuberculosis. Vet. Clin. North Am. Food Anim. Pract. 27(3):593-598.
- Kirkpatrick, B.W., X. Shi, G.E. Shook, M.T. Collins. 2011. Genetic markers associated with susceptibility to paratuberculosis in Holsteins. Animal Genetics 42:149-160.
- Shin, A.R., H.J. Kim, S.N. Cho, M.T. Collins, E.J. Manning, S.A. Naser, and S.J. Shin. 2010. Identification of seroreactive proteins in the culture filtrate antigen of Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis human isolates to sera from Crohn's disease patients. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 58:128-1
- Collins, M.T., V. Eggleston, and E.J.B. Manning. 2010. Successful control of Johne’s disease in nine dairy herds: Results of a six-year field trial. J. Dairy Sci. 93:1638-1643.
- Krishnan, M.Y.*, E.J.B. Manning, and M.T. Collins. 2009. Effects of interactions of antibacterial drugs with each other and with 6-mercaptopurine on in vitro growth of Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 64(5):1018-1023.