Department of Medical Sciences
Titles and Education
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons, 1988
- BS 1981, University of California
- DVM 1983, University of California
- PhD 1990, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine
Regeneration of musculoskeletal tissues, including enhancement of fracture healing; cartilage resurfacing techniques; tendon healing and regeneration, and development of long bone fracture repair methods. The Comparative Orthopaedic Research Laboratory is a multi-investigator group that focuses on bone, tendon, cartilage, and joint injury, inflammation and repair.
Dean, School of Veterinary Medicine
Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professor
Co-Director, Comparative Orthopaedic Research Laboratory
Clinical InterestsLarge animal surgery, specializing in orthopedics.
I co-direct the Comparative Orthopaedic Research Laboratory where we focus on the regeneration of musculoskeletal tissues, including tendon, cartilage and bone. This work is comparative in nature and meant to benefit animals and humans.
- Bleedorn JA, Hornberger TA, Goodman CA, Hao Z, Sample SJ, Amene E, Markel MD, Behan M, Muir P. Temporal mechanically-induced signaling events in bone and dorsal root ganglion neurons after in vivo bone loading. PLoS One 2018 Feb 27;13(2):e0192760: 10.1371/journal.pone.0192760.
- Yu X, Biedrzycki AH, Khalil AS, Hess D, Umhoefer JM, Markel MD, Murphy WL: Nanostructured mineral coatings stabilize proteins for therapeutic delivery. Adv Mater 2017 Jul 4. doi: 10.1002/adma.291701255.
- Rustom LE, Boudou T, Lou S, Pignot-Paintrand I, Nemke BW, Lu Y, Markel MD, Picart C, Wagoner Johnson AJ: Micropore-induced capillarity enhances bone distribution in vivo in biphasic calcium phosphate scaffolds. Acta Biomater 2016 Oct 15;44: 144-54. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2016.08.025. Epub 2016 Aug 17.
- Biedrzycki AH, Grant BG, Nemke B, Morello SL, Markel MD: In vitro biomechanical evaluation of four surgical techniques for fusion of equine centrodistal and tarsometatarsal joints. Am J Vet Res 2016 Oct;77(10): 1071-81. doi: 10.2460/ajvr.77.10.1071.
- Biedrzycki AH, Grand BD, Nemke B, Markel MD, Morello SL: Arthrodesis of the equine centrodistal and tarsometatarsal joints using a single modified kerf-cut cylinder. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2016 May 18;29(3):227-31. doi: 10.3415/VCOT-15-10-0167. Epub 2016 Apr 12.
- Racette M, Al saleh H, Block WF, Waller KR 3rd, Bleedorn JA, McCabe RP, Vanderby R Jr, Markel MD, Brounts SH, Muir P: 3D FSE cube and VIPR-aTR 3.0 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging predicts canine cranial cruciate ligament structural properties. Vet J 2016 Mar;209:150-5. doi: 10.1016/j.tvjl.2015.10.055. Epub 2015 Nov 4.
- Biedrzycki A, Markel MD, Brounts SH: Biomechanical evaluation of a novel subcuticular skin stapling device for use in equine abdominal surgeries. Vet Surg 2015 Feb;44(2):231-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2014.12245.x. Epub 2014 Jul 31.