Department of Surgical Sciences
Titles and Education
- Clinical Associate Professor, Large Animal Surgery
- Internship and Residency, Large Animal Surgery, Ontario Veterinary College, Guelph, Canada, 1977-1980
- M Sc. Ontario Veterinary College, Guelph, Canada, 1984
- Lecturer in LA Surgery, University of Guelph, 1980-1982
- Assistant Professor, LA Surgery, University of Guelph, 1982-1988
- Associate Professor with Tenure, LA Surgery, University of Guelph, 1988-1998
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons, 1991
- Periods spent in practice, 1974-1977 and 1998-2001
ResearchDr. Livesey has a long- standing interest in surgical conditions of the equine digestive system and in particular treatment of colic. He is particularly interested in surgical conditions of the equine head, with an emphasis on dental disease and the paranasal sinuses.
ResponsibilitiesDr. Livesey is involved with both undergraduate and graduate teaching in the veterinary program. He is involved in teaching in several courses, but coordinates the Large Animal Surgery course (938-675) offerred to third year students, the Food Animal elective (938-746) and Equine Dentistry elective, offerred to fourth year students. His primary teaching responsibility is instruction of fourth year students and residents during their clinical rotations in Large Animal Surgery.
Clinical InterestsDr Livesey is interested in all aspects of Large Animal Surgery and enjoys the variety associated with working in a Large Animal Hospital dealing with horses, cattle and camelids.
Graduate TrainingGraduated from the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Edinburgh, in Scotland, with a Batchelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (BVM&S) degree in 1974.
After three years in mixed practice, I pursued further training in Large Animal Surgery at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, in Ontario, Canada. There I completed an internship, residency, and MSc.
I became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 1991.
- O’Brien TO., Peek S., and Livesey MA. Bilateral patella ligament rupture in the horse. J Am Vet. Med Assoc. (2011) 239: (6) 749-750.
- O’Brien TO., Koch C., Livesey MA., Avulsion fracture of the round or accessory ligament of the head of the femur in a mature Saddlebred gelding. J Am Vet Med Assoc. (2012) 240: (9) 1059-1060.
- Rosser JM, Brounts S, Livesey MA, Slone, D, Lynch T, Hughes F, Clark C, Pelvic Flexure Enterotomy Closure in the horse with a TA-90 Stapling Device: A Retrospective Clinical Study of 84 cases. (2012) Can Vet J.
- Rosser JM, Brounts S, Livesey MA, Wiedmeyer K, Comparison of single layer staple closure versus double layer hand-sewn closure for equine pelvic flexure enterotomy. (2012) Can Vet J. 53:643–647.
- Singer ER, Livesey MA, A retrospective evaluation of exploratory laparotomy in a population of young horses.(1997) J Am Vet Med Assoc.211:1158-1162.