Johanna Elfenbein, DVM, PhD, DACVIM
Department of Pathobiological Sciences
Office: Hanson 121
Titles and Education
- Assistant Professor of Bacteriology
- PhD - Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (2014)
Diplomate, Large Animal Internal Medicine - American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (2011)
Residency, Large Animal Internal Medicine - University of Florida (2008-2011)
Internship, Large Animal Medicine and Surgery - University of Georgia (2007-2008)
- DVM - University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine (2007)
- AB - Harvard University, Biochemical Sciences with citation of fluency in Italian (2003)
My lab is interested in the zoonotic pathogen Salmonella enterica. Salmonella is an important pathogen of large animals and is a leading cause of bacterial foodborne gastroenteritis in humans. Our studies aim to determine how Salmonella colonizes the intestine of susceptible hosts and how it is transmitted between individuals. Please see our website for more information.
Teaching: Veterinary Bacteriology and Mycology (PATH-BIO517)
Infectious diseases of large animals
Trainer - Microbiology Doctoral Training Program
- Knodler LA and Elfenbein JR. Microbe of the Month: Salmonella enterica. Trends in Microbiology. https://doi.org/10/1016/j.tim.2019.05.002.
- Manship AJ, Blikslager AT, Elfenbein JR. Clinical comparison of Equine Coronavirus and enteric Salmonella infections. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2019 Jan 10 doi:10.1111/jvim.15386
- Durham ME and Elfenbein JR. Evaluation of vaporized hydrogen peroxide sterilization on the in vitro efficacy of meropenem-impregnated polymethyl methacrylate beads. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 2019 Jan;80(1):45-50. doi10.2460.ajvr80.1.45.
Westerman TL, Bogomolnaya L, Andrews-Polymenis HL, Sheats MK, Elfenbein JR. The Salmonella Type-3 Secretion System-1 and Flagellar Motility Influence the Neutrophil Respiratory Burst. PLoS One. 2018 Sep 11;13(9):e0203698. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0203698.
Jaslow SL, Gibbs KD, Fricke WF, Wang L, Mammel MK, Thaden J, Fowler V, Hammer G, Elfenbein JR, Ko D. Salmonella activation of STAT3 signaling by SarA effector promotes intracellular replication and production of IL-10. Cell Reports. 2018;23(12):3525-3536. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2018.05.072.
Elfenbein JR, Knodler LA, Schaeffer AR, Faber F, Bäumler AJ, Andrews-Polymenis HL. A Salmonella Regulator Modulates Intestinal Colonization and Use of Phosphonoacetic Acid. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 2017;7(69). doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2017.00069.
Elfenbein JR, Knodler LA, Nakayasu ES, Ansong C, Brewer HM, Bogomolnaya L, Adams LG, McClelland M, Adkins JN, Andrews-Polymenis HL. Multicopy Single-Stranded DNA Directs Intestinal Colonization of Enteric Pathogens. PLoS Genetics. 2015 Sep;11(9):e1005472. PubMed PMID: 26367458.