Department of Medical Sciences
Titles and Education
- Professor of Theriogenology
- DVM 1963, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Toronto, Ont. Canada
- MSc. 1970, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Ont. Canada
- PhD 1974, Royal Veterinary College, Stockholm, Sweden
ResearchProfessor of Theriogenology DVM 1963, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Toronto, Ont. Canada MSc. 1970, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Ont. Canada PhD 1974, Royal Veterinary College, Stockholm, Sweden Principal Research Interests Reestablishment of normal reproductive activity in postpartum dairy cows; control of gestation in mares; contraception in companion animals. Primary research emphasis is on the physiological processes involved in the reestablishment of ovarian activity in postpartum cows, with special reference to pathophysiological mechanisms involved in intrauterine infection induced Cystic Ovarian Disease. Specifically our present research includes projects aimed at pinpointing the site of action of lipopolysaccharide on the hypothalamic-hypophyseal-axis in the induction of abnormalities in folliculogenesis and ovulation.
ResponsibilitiesLecturing on clinical aspects of reproduction in horses,dogs and cats to the third year students.Clincal activities in the VMTH and participation in the teaching during the Senior Rotation on Theriogenology.
Clinical InterestsBreeding management and management of reproductive problems in cattle, horses and dogs
Graduate TrainingParticipation in the supervision and training of graduate students.
- Bosu, W.T.K., Peter, A.T. Evidence for a role of intrauterine infections in the pathogenesis of cystic ovaries in dairy cows. Theriogenology, 28:725-736, 1987.
- Peter, A.T., Bosu, W.T.K., DeDecker, R. Suppression of preovulatory LH surges in heifers after receiving intrauterine infusions of E. coli endotoxin. Am. J. Vet. Res. 50:268-373, 1989.
- Kujjo, L.L., Bosu, W.T.K., and Perez, G.I. Opioid peptides involvement in endotoxin-induced suppression of LH secretion in ovariectomized holstein heifers. Repro Toxicology 9:2, 169-174, 1995.
- Bosu, W.T.K., Kujjo, L.L., and Perez, G.I. Endotoxin stimulates secretion of Cortisol, but not ACTH in heifers pretreated with suppressive doses of a glucocorticoid. J Vet Med A , 42:1-8, 1995.
- Bosu, W.T.K, Perez, G.I., and Kujjo, L.L. Natural and endotoxin-induced atresia of preantral and early antral follicles is characterized by DNA internucleosomal cleavage. Molecular Reproduction and Development. 44 (1996) 352-359.
- Perez, G.I., Kujjo, L.L., and Bosu, W.T.K. Endotoxin-induced apoptosis in ovarian follicles is partially blocked by 2-methylthioatp or 2-choroatp. Molecular Reproduction and Development. 44 (1996) 360-369.
- Lopez-Diaz, M.C., and Bosu, W.T.K. Effects of ACTH on luteinizing hormone receptors in ovine follicular wall and corpus luteum. Reproduction-Nutrition-Development (1998) 37:1-14.