Submitting Tissue Specimens
- Contact the Histology lab to set up a an account. Have the following information ready:
- UW funding number
- Lab name
- Contact name
- Contact phone number
- Specimens must be submitted in labeled tissue cassettes in fixative. (Cassettes and fixative are available in the Histology lab.)
- The tissue can be trimmed and placed in cassettes by the researcher in the Histology lab, please call ahead to make arrangements.
- Cassettes must be labeled with a soft, (#2), pencil on the front of the cassette, and redundantly on the right side of the cassette. (Sharpies and other marking pens will wash off in the solvents of the tissue processor.)
- They must be accompanied by a completed Histology Requisition.
- Tissues in formalin must be in cassettes and in the histology lab by 2:30 p.m. (The tissue processor is a 14 hour, overnight cycle.)
- Tissues in alcohol are processed the following morning
Turn Around Time
- Depending on the amount of diagnostic work from the VMTH, and how large your research project is, the slides will generally be ready for pick-up within a week.
- Often, we are able to turn them around in 2-3 days.
- You will be called when your slides and paraffin blocks are ready for pick-up.
- They will be in SVM Room 3315, on the shelving next to the main door of the lab.
- You may pick them up anytime between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.