Your Path to a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Degree
The University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine (SVM) offers a four-year professional degree program leading to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree. The goal of the professional curriculum is to provide each graduate with a broad veterinary medical education and the skills necessary for the profession.
National and state licensing examinations are required to obtain a license to practice in most states. Please visit the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (NBVME) and the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) websites for further information.
The DVM degree offers graduates many professional career options, including opportunities within private practice, academics, research, industry, the armed forces, government services, and others.
The goal of the professional curriculum is met by providing
- Instruction in the recognition of disease conditions based upon a sound understanding of the normal animal
- Clinical experience to develop confidence and to prepare for a professional career
- An understanding of career specialties to assist the graduate in the pursuit of research and/or specialty training in a postgraduate program
- Opportunities to develop the problem-solving, interviewing, and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with clients and the public
- Instruction in basic managerial skills necessary to operate an efficient and cost-effective practice
- The basis for the integration of veterinary medical skills into husbandry and management practices of food animal production
- Opportunities to understand the relationship of veterinary medicine to public health concerns
- The recognition of the importance of lifelong learning
Lynn Maki, Interim Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, describes the DVM student experience at the UW School of Veterinary Medicine.
- UW Vet Students Top Hoard's Dairyman Cow Judging Contest May. 16
- UW Vet Med Students Earn First Place, Perfect Scores in Cow Judging Contest May. 13
- UW Vet Med Student Samantha McGill is Charter Recipient of AAVMC Patricia Lowrie Diversity Scholarship Mar. 27
- Eight SVM Students Among Recipients of Zoetis/American Veterinary Medical Foundation Scholarships Mar. 25